Seen in Season 2 Episode 17
Mushrooms can be….controversial with some people. I know a couple people in my life who absolutely HATE mushrooms. I feel like I ask the phrase “Do you like mushrooms?” more than any other vegetable. Well, I like them and so does Emily Gilmore.
I tried a couple different things with this recipe. I blended the mushrooms to give it a smoother texture, I tried different wines, tried less cream, etc. I ended up really liking the whole pieces of mushrooms and decided I liked the depth that the red wine bought (I know…controversial).
If you like mushrooms, then you’ll like this savory creamy soup. Perfect for a cold night. Enjoy!
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 1 Pound Crimini Mushrooms
- 1 Tbl Butter
- 1/4 Cup Shallot
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup DRY Red Wine (I used a cabernet sauvignon)
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Water
- Over medium heat and in a saucepan, melt the butter and cook the shallots (about 2 minutes)
- Add the mushrooms and thyme, cook for 10 minutes
- Add the cream, chicken stock, dry red wine, salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add the cornstarch mixture and let simmer for an additional 10 minutes
- Check the taste and serve warm in bowls. Enjoy!