The fiesta burger was actually one of the foods in the show that got me to start this blog. I love all things spicy and even though they don’t really describe the burger beyond “it’s really hot”, I always wanted to try it haha.
When I was picking out the buns for this recipe, I immediately went for brioche (so soft, so good!), but then I started overthinking. Would a small food stand in Stars Hollow in the year 2000 use brioche buns?
Proooooobably not. Sesame seed buns seemed like a sturdy, classic bun to use and I’m glad I used it! The salsa and the chipotle mayo needed a sturdy structure and these buns provide that.
You can modify this burger in many ways to adjust the spice level, but I highly recommend trying it the recipe way at least once!
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbl Adobo Sauce
- 2 Chilies in Adobo Sauce
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Dash Salt and Pepper
- 1 Lb Ground Beef (I used 80/20)
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1 Sliced Avocado
- 2 Tbl Salsa (your favorite kind)
- 2 Leaves Bibb lettuce, boston lettuce or leaf lettuce
- 2 Slices Spicy cheese, I used habanero colby, pepper jack works as well
- 1 Tbl Butter (for toasting the buns)
For the chipotle mayo
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mayo, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and then let chill in the fridge.
For the beef patties
- Seed and mince one jalapeno. If the jalapeno you have is large, you might not need the whole thing. Mix the jalapeno, cayenne pepper, garlic power and salt with the ground beef.
- Weigh each patty to be 8oz and flatten (put a small divet in the center so the patties don't get too thick).
- Heat a grill to high and cook the patties for 3 minutes on the first side. Flip and add cheese. Close grill and cook for 4 minutes (for medium rare)
For the toppings
- While grilling the patties, heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bottom of the buns until lightly golden brown.
- Place the patty on the bottom bun. Top with lettuce, salsa,and avocado. Spread chipotle mayo on top bun and voila!